Monday 25 October 2010

Scan Time

Well Steve has been in here 5 days now and cant believe where the time has gone!
Steve is still about the same, he is still exhausted but has been out most days in the wheel chair for a crafty ciggy!! He has to go out into the car park for one and either myself or one of the lads who have been to visit push him out there.
He is eating but only small amounts but the doctors have reassured him the amount he is eating is fine and not to be hard on himself.
He is settling into a routine now which is comforting to Steve, he knows his meals will be delivered at 12pm and 5pm. The food is good here as they only have 10 rooms and so is always fresh and nicely served. No comments or comparisons please to my food!
The days seems to pass by quickly and the morning and evening Steve mostly spends sleeping with a few hours in the afternoon of chatting when people come to visit.
I typically arrive first thing in the morning and leave when Steve has fallen asleep at night I do manage to sneak off for a couple of hours in the afternoon when his parents arrive, to see Megs as she is on half term at the moment. This whole thing is so hard on everyone, the kids included and today Ive been particularly stressed! No real reason why, apart from the obvious but Im feeling so helpless I want to do more for Steve and want to make this all go away but I cant. All I can do is make sure everyone does their best for him!
The hospice medical director came round today and spoke to Steve and he thinks Steve should have a scan to see what is going on with the cancer and to see whether their is anything obvious happening which is stopping Steve from walking. It is possible that the tumour is pressing on Steve spinal cord.
It was hard as this doctor doesn't know Steve but like everyone here in the hospice is trying his best for Steve.
Steve is anxious about coming home, not that at this stage he wants to come home, its just he is worried about how we will mange. I try to reassure him that they wont let us go home without a plan in place but that doesn't take away Steves anxieties.
Tom called tonight........
That man is unbelievable. I know Im sounding like I should start a fan club or what is it young people do?? a face book page!! But he is wonderful and he asked me what was going on with Steve, so I told him. He understood why they would be thinking of doing a scan but said he didn't feel it was going to show anything new. He was more than happy to have a look at the scan though and give a second opinion and call the Prof here if I wanted him to! At the end of the call he told me to make sure I tell Steve he is sending his best wishes and that I should remember that I can call him at any time! See now why I think this man is unbelievable. He isnt even Steves offical doctor anymore and given he works in the NHS and how busy he is, then it amazes me he remembers and take time out to check up on Steve. Not sure if this link will work but it should take you to a picture of Steve, Tom and I taken at a dinner for the James Whale Fund. www.flickr.com/photos/jameswhalefund/5041491457/
Tom is a trustee of the fund and Steve and I were invited to attend their presidents dinner due to amount of fund raising we had done for them this year. It was a good evening and we were even on the top table!!! Funny when this photo was taken Peter Stringfellow was waiting to have his picture to be taken and had to be asked to move so Tom, Steve and I could have ours done!! :-)

Well at least with a scan the hospice can put a plan in place. Either they will look at if their is anything they can do to change things or if not then what we can do to manage things.
Im not sure when it will be but they have made it clear here that Steve wont be leaving here until we have a plan in place for his care at home.
I will update soon. x x x

4 comments:

  1. Hey Sally, the link doesn't work but i recommend to copy the address and paste onto web page address and you can see the lovely Tom!!!! You two look good as well!! Lotsa love. Wx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys,

    It was lovely to see you both at the weekend, and good to hear that Steve is eating now.

    The link does work for me, another lovely picture of you both!

    Keeping everything crossed that the scan is OK.

    Our love and thoughts are with you as always.

    Mark, Nat, Jack, Charlie & Lily
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Steve,
    Your wedding pictures are beautiful and what a lovely and caring wife you have.
    I wish you a lot of strenght and love. And will remember the holiday in Spain in 95 with Liane, Tanja and big Nick.
    Warm regards Cynthia Will (Lianes friend)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally, I know Steve from the Woking Days, I am also friends of Tony Cross and his wife Louise. You sound one very special person and am so pleased Steve has found you, I have been keeping a eye on your blog and am amazed at your strength and support for Steve throughout his terrible ordeal, I don't blame you though as he is one very special man with a huge heart, please give him a big kiss from me. Thinking of you both. Vicky Williams (was Bull) xx

    ReplyDelete