Saturday 6 November 2010

Wrighty the Fighter

This last 10 days has been the most horrendous roller coaster for everyone.

Steve is still flighting on. I am sat here with him in Woking hospice, where he has been for over 2 weeks now and i've been staying with him permanently for just over a week now.

Shortly after I wrote my last post, Steve took a turn for the worse. He was diagnosed with having pneumonia and then suffered massive internal bleeding.
Both times we were told to expect the worse and both times Steve pulled through. The second of such times, we spent nearly 24 hours holding his hands whilst streams of friends and family came to say goodbye, only for him to open his eyes and ask his best friend what the Man U score was!!! Then he proceeded to eat Mcdonalds breakfast! Well he is Wrighty after all and he was and is always going to do this the Wrighty Way!

All of our friends and family have been amazing support. Steves parents are now staying in the hospice, they have a room upstairs, with a shower room and a kitchen. I have been staying in the room with Steve. The nurses attached an extension to Steves bed so I can sleep right next to him. The night they did, they didn't tell me! So what a surprise I got when I came back in the room, to see a newly created double bed with Steve one side and my pillow adorned with a flower and 2 chocolates! Welcome to the honeymoon suite they said!

Steve is battling every day and over the last few days he has been sleeping most of the day. He still manages to open his eyes occasionally and when he does, he gives me a smile and tells me he loves me. He has stopped eating now and only drinks occasionally. Everything takes too much energy. He is getting weaker and cant move very much without the help of us and the nurses. But he is still fighting on. He still cares so deeply for people. He asks how people are and is genuinely interested.
I feel so loved by Steve, he wants me to be close and I love being close to him. It pains me right to the core seeing him not being able to do things for himself he looks so helpless. The worse is when he is in pain but they are so wonderful here, they react instantly and give him a shot of morphine. Steve wants to be here. He feels safe and so do I.
I cant begin to explain what an amazing place this is and I wouldn't have been able to cope with out them.
Well I cant promise when I will next post as minutes slip into hours, slip into days and all my energy is spent with Steve.

One last thing ....
A colleague who I also class as a good friend sent me these few words and think they sum up perfectly where Steve and I are with our love:
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength,
While loving someone deeply gives you courage

15 comments:

  1. beautiful words and so very true. it is heartbreaking to read this, but I am comforted knowing you and Steve are where he needs to be and that you are both getting such wonderful care, as are his parents. In life we will all get to this transition some day, and we should all be as lucky to have loving family and deeply committed care to help us along. hugs to you and Steve, please give him love from his friends across the pond in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve isn't the only one doing things The 'Wrighty Way' Sally. He is a wise man to have chosen you for his wife. Bruce is keeping me posted and my heart is holding both of you close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your Blogg regularly and update all Steves colleagues on how he is doing ,from his days at Morgan Lovell & Marist who work at Area Sq and generally through the fit out industry. To read this today is so heartbreaking and I can only admire your strength and love for Steve, and Wrightys fighting spirit and courage. My thoughts are with you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally...I've followed your blog for quite some time now and have never posted. Please know that both you and Steve are in my thoughts and prayers. You've written beautiful words ... extremely touching to the core! May you both continue this journey The Wrighty Way ~ with strength and courage! Blessings ~ His Anchor Holds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sally & Steve,
    We have been following Steve's journey through your blog, which has been both heartbreaking yet inspirational - you have both been so incredibly upbeat and brave. Whilst we have not had the pleasure in meeting Sally, it is clear that you are both remarkable and perfect for each other. Sam knew Steve during their 20s (through Ian Rickwood) and bumped into him again a few years ago with Rory (through Nick Oakley). Although we havent been in touch We remember Steve's good humour and charisma but aren't so impressed with his cycling skills when he fell off his bike on Horsell Common a few years back!

    Sam & Rory Dwyer

    ReplyDelete
  6. You both amaze me with your strength! Such sad news to hear Steve has taken a bad turn, but great to heat that in his usual style he comes out fighting! You keep battling Mr & Mrs Wright. Sending you both lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sally and Steve

    I have followed your blog from the beginning and am not normally one to comment but my thoughts are with the both of you right now. I wish you both all the strength and courage in the world. Big hugs from across the ocean. Sara x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mr & Mrs Wright(y)
    Ive known you but a short time, but my thoughts and luv are sent forever...Sal xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. To my darling Sally and gorgeous Mr Wright,

    Well we have always known just how stubborn Mr Wright is and well, we have come to expect nothing less from him, he remains true to form!

    You are both an utter inspiration to us all, not often that words fail me, but they almost have. I laughed alot when Steve woke up and Sally you were only out the room for 10 mins, but he naturally assumed we were on the phone to me talking!! That is Mr Wright through and through and I am only glad that is these moments his sense of humour has not failed, but rather has lifted everyone all over again. Wrighty, how do you do it?!

    I have spent a long time trying to think of the right words to say, and I can't however i just wanted to say something (not like me Steve i know!)

    Wrighty you have amazed us all and defied every medic out there!

    Your love together has shown us all the true meaning of love and you have both been so brave and strong as a consequence of your love and committment to one and other;

    Steve met Mrs Wright and Sally met Mr Wright:- Love conquers all and will always prevail, christ knows you have shown us that.

    Steve has packed a whole lot of living into his life and one thing is for sure, there has never been a dull moment! I expect everyone out there could post a comment of some or other event!

    Sally your strength and unquivering love will get you through, we all know that that is what has kept Wrighty going,along with his beautiful girls.

    Steve I am going to let you have Sally's title of being an "unbelieveable trooper", mate you are utterly deserving.

    All the love in the world to you both and the girls.

    God Bless you guys.

    Jane, DB, Maddison & Jessica. x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our thoughts are with both of you. Lots of Love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sally and Steve,

    Steve, I remember playing football against you at middle school, I remember all my team saying "ow no we're playing againt steve wright today it's gonna be a tough one!" And you were only about 10yrs old then!! Then in secondry school I had the pleasure of being part of the same football team as you.. your team as you were obviously the captain! I remember you were always very competative but also always fair and full of encouragement. I always thought of you as one of the good guys and still do. That's what you are Steve..one of the good guys.

    Keep fighting mate.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

    Steve Street

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sally,

    Officially Mrs Wright now! I love the wedding photos.

    I just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you, Steve and the girls. I've just read your blog; what a horrible time you're having.

    I wish there was something I could do to take it all away.

    Love,

    Lynn & family x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steve, your fight is amazing and courageous yet not suprising...you always were a battler, especially on that football pitch. You are an inspiration to all of us who moan about the little things... Lots of strength and love from the Brooksies in Oz x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sally,

    So hard to know what to say, your posts are so inspiring! How wonderful that you have both experienced such an amazing bond and love together, some people go a life time without it! Your really do sound like one amazing lady and Steve's power of strength. Thinking of you both. Vicky (Bull) Williams xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have followed this Blog with much sadness and at the same time much admiration for your courage and bravery. I am so sorry to hear of Steve's passing.

    God bless you Steve - RIP.

    ReplyDelete