Saturday 13 November 2010

My Beloved Steve

The saddest day and moment of this journey came on Wednesday 10th November.


As much as we all knew in our hearts that the day was eventually going to come, it did not nor does not take away the huge pain me, Victoria, Megan, Steve’s Parents and in fact all of our family and friends are feeling.

Steve passed away at Woking Hospice peacefully with his Mum, Dad and I by his side.

He was finally out of pain. Steve battled this disease with the utmost dignity, never moaning about the pain, nor complaining about the turn of fate he had been dealt. Instead he held his head high and spoke about the wonderful life he had led.

Steve was my best friend and I’ve spent the last 18 months fighting for him, all the time trying to ensure that he received the best of everything.

I feel so immensely proud that I can call myself Steve’s wife and that myself and Megan were able to join into Steve and Victoria’s life and become a family. We will always have that and I know Steve would want us to remember him and lead our lives in that way.

I miss him already so much that it hurts their are moments when I believe I can hear him calling me, Hewitty! Hewitty! But I look around and see that no one is there.

I have the amazing support of my parents and close friends and without this I would not be able to carry on but I do have these people and many others and for that I’m eternally grateful. A neighbour gave me a card with the following words:

From Tomorrow on I shall be sad, from tomorrow on,
Not today. Today I will be glad,
And everyday no matter how bitter it may be I shall say:
From tomorrow on I shall be sad, not today.

Steve was an amazing man and behind him he has left a huge memory for us all. The stories that have been told over the last few weeks have been a huge comfort and I know their are thousand more to come. It is still very early days and I know many people want to come and pay their respects to Steve. All of which Steve wanted. As soon as the arrangements have been made I will post on here again, so that for all of those who can and want to, can join us as we say goodbye.


Rest in Peace Steve

Stephen George Wright
4th March 1969 - 10th November 2010

7 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking, no matter how prepared we think we are. I thank you for sharing Steve's journey and yours with us all these months. He was so very lucky to have you on his team and although I am far across the pond, my thoughts are with you and all your family as you make your way forward each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I just want you to know we are thinking about you and praying for you. I have read your blog but not posted before and just want you to know, you have shown tremendous courage and strength and your words have helped all of us who are dealing with this dreadful disease too. Thank you for sharing ya'lls journey with all of us.

    Lorri Veasey
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/DavidVeasey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, Victoria, Megan, Steve's parents & family,
    Thinking of you all.
    Lynn & family

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss. I knew Steve through work and he was one of life's nice guys.

    I for one, and many others will really miss him. Our thoughts are with you all.

    I would like to pay my respects to the top man so please let me know in due course.

    Matt Clarke

    ReplyDelete
  5. sally, we have only just met but we share so many things! sending you my love x emma x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling Sal - you are amazing and I'm sure Steve was equally proud to have such a strong and beautiful woman to call his wife. So sorry for all your loss and for never having the opportunity to meet Steve. Thinking of you, with love. Vic x

    ReplyDelete
  7. you write beautifully Sally, with such pride, dignity and affection. Yours (and Steve's) is an important journey to tell, for so many people, and i will be reading along the way.

    Henrix

    ReplyDelete