Monday 4 July 2011

New Home

Today we all made the final part of Steves journey.

Steve now has a new home, he is now with his headstone in Chobham Cemetery.

Even reading this back Im not sure I even heard the words that the vicar spoke I was too busy squezzing Victoria and Megans hands.


It was a short but powerful service attended by Steve’s friends, Meg, Victoria, Louise, Steves sister and my Parents.

When the undertaker arrived to collect his ashes I sobbed. Sobbed because he was now truly leaving our house, not coming back. Now a new home for Steve.

I know he will always be around but this was final.

Deep down I know he left us 8 months ago but to see his name in a cemetery where as much as the headstone and words are beautiful and fitting of the man he was, it just didn’t seem right nor fair! Surely it cant be Steve in a cemetery, surely we are all going to wake up soon and realise this is all a bad dream.

Im frightened. Scared as I felt I was coping, well more than that I was beginning to laugh and be more of my old self. I so don’t want for myself nor the kids to go backwards. We need to move forward and I know we will but these damn hurdles are hard work and painful!

So maybe now Steve has a new home I can finally cancel the Sky Sports. Im sure that where Steve is now that they will be showing all the sports he can possibly watch!

Well an early night for me and heres hoping I feel stronger tomorrow.

And as the final line of the headstone says
"If love could have kept you here, you would never have gone."

2 comments:

  1. Sally you have done Steve proud, you have followed his wishes in every way and more.

    May he rest in peace, no more pain just happy memories.

    All our love.

    Mum and Dad xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay strong, its a long journey

    ReplyDelete