Wednesday 2 November 2011

Life.....And people

Nothing as queer as folk!
Having been up to London for dinner with some work colleagues I find myself on a packed train, sat opposite a young guy and next to a wealthy elderly couple. The young guy clearly wants to chat and so does the elderly lady. She is blind and the young guy is in the RAF. The train journey is spent listening and commenting occasionally on the worlds of these 2 very different people lives. The young guy retelling stories of life in the military and the lady of her family and life style in the country. I listened and talked occasionally not about my life or the up coming anniversary of Steve's death but instead about "leaves on the line" and the difficulty of military life and the impact it haves on spending time with the ones you love. It felt at times like I was part of the situation but not quite. It was an act. Almost like watching a play. An insight into 2 very different worlds both with their joy and troubles but simply watching and commentating.
Once at Woking I parted from my train buddies and  found myself thrown into a totally different world. The world of the "mad" taxi driver. He too wanted to chat and he wanted to tell me all about his awful girl friend and how he has given up on woman. "Im too nice, treat them mean and keep them keen is my new moto!" he recounted over the loud Indian music. When I asked him why he simply said woman don't like nice guys. Woman want men who dont buy them flowers, who turn up late and who simply arent available.
I laughed and said he clearly hadn't met the right person. In which he replied I bet your husband doesn't treat you well. I bet he doesnt buy you flowers. And I simply said. My husband was never late, often bought me flowers and certainly was never ever mean to me. And over the music he didnt hear the past tense and so as I paid my fare he said.
Well you never know what happens in life, if your husband stops doing any of those things then you know where I am......
Dont worry though even though Steve has of course stopped doing all of those things  I dont see myself running off with the mad taxi driver just yet.
x x x xx

No comments:

Post a Comment